Poole Park Bowling Club was formed as a result of a meeting called by
the Mayor of Poole, L D Ballard on 1st June 1909. The official opening
of the green took place just 14 days later although at that time there was
not a pavilion. A team from Meyrick Park came to give a demonstration
of the game to the Poole membership that was already 50. The pavilion
was built by September 1913.
In 1921 the Dorset County Bowling Association was formed and it first
president was a Mr. Young of Poole Park.
The green was relaid in 1928 and a second green added during the
winter of 1929-30.
In 1950 a number of ladies expressed a desire to form a bowls club
and the Poole Park Women’s Bowls club was officially opened on 29 April
1951. In 1955 a pavilion was built for the ladies.
1965 saw the formation of the Poole Borough Bowling Association and with
it the Poole Open Tournament with its headquarters at Poole Park.
1991 saw major changes with the men’s and ladies clubs combining but with
separate sections and taking out a lease of the bowls facilities. This was
followed in 1995 by taking over maintenance of the greens.
2001 saw the opening of the present pavilion with the help of lottery funds
following many years hard work